Chapter History

The Alexander Doniphan Chapter, NSDAR, was formed on March 6, 1909, named for Colonel Alexander William Doniphan, Missouri orator, jurist, statesman, soldier, and Christian gentleman.

Much of the preliminary organizational work was done by Mary (Campbell) Garth and Martha (Lincoln) Raymond. These two organizing members, with twelve others, Katherine Raymond, Louise Stogdale, Enfield Stogdale Lincoln, Ozelle (Graves) Miller, May McClintic, Bessie Miller Day, Mabel (Llewellyn) Eaton, Mary (Smith) Miller, Ida Miller Dye, Martha M. Griffith, Irene Raymond and Edna (Jones) Withers, became the charter members. In 1912, it was through the efforts of the Alexander Doniphan Chapter, NSDAR, that the United States flag was hoisted above the Clay County Courthouse for the first time in more than 50 years. They also placed a flag at the public school the same year. The chapter marked the grave of Richard Simms, an American Revolutionary War soldier who is buried in Clay County. And in 2000, a marker was dedicated to Colonel Alexander Doniphan near the Presbyterian Church on Main Street in Liberty; the site where his home once stood.
The marker states, “A Native Kentuckian, Alexander Doniphan, lived at this site for 30 years. He defended the Mormons and was one of the founders of William Jewell College. During the Mexican War 1846-47 he commanded the First Regiment Missouri Mounted Volunteers in the longest march ever made by an American Military organization. During this expedition, he became known as ‘The Hero of Sacramento.’”